The nine-time grand prix world champion will be replaced at the works Yamaha team by current SRT rider Fabio Quartararo, who agreed a two-year deal with the Japanese marque at the start of the year.
Yamaha confirmed at the time it would back Rossi at SRT should he decide to continue, with his original plan to see what his performances were like in the opening six or seven races before the COVID-19 pandemic wrecked this.
Confirming back in July that he was “99%” certain to remain in MotoGP with SRT, it has long been thought that the delay in announcing a deal has surrounded the make-up of his team.
When asked on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Catalan GP what the situation was with his contract, Rossi admits there is still “something to fix” but is set to put pen to paper soon.
“Like I said last week, we try to sign during the weekend, between the Misano races we fix everything, also in the last days,” he said.
“The situation is very clear, I will race with Petronas next year, but the contract is a little bit long and there’s something to fix.
“But we’re not in a rush because we already agree, but I think during this weekend I will sign the contract and I’m very happy to continue next year with Yamaha and Petronas.”
When asked by Motorsport.com what details were still to be finalised, Rossi replied:…