It’s getting warmer and it’s time to dive again! However, long exposure to the sun and dehydration from the saltwater can definitely take a toll on our skin and hair. While we enjoy diving, we should also protect our skin from the sea. So, here are some skin care tips to keep your skin protected for your next dive.
Preparation before you dive
- Apply SPF 35+ reef-safe sunscreen (oxybenzone and octinoxate free) on your face and neck 30 mins before you get on the boat.
- Coat your hair with coconut oil to prevent tangles and dryness.
- Tie or braid your hair and leave room for your mask strap so you can easily take it on and off.
Things to do while you are on the boat
- Protect your hair by wetting it with fresh water before exposing it to saltwater to make it less subject to becoming brittle.
- Reapply your sunscreen between each dive and sit in the shade whenever possible.
- Clean and dry yourself thoroughly as soon as possible to prevent a buildup of bacteria.
- Apply SPF lip balm as needed to prevent or treat chapped lips.
- Apply moisturizer, serums or any wrinkle treatment to rehydrate and repair your skin.
- Apply aloe vera in case of sunburn.
- Put on a hydrating face mask for skin repair.
The sun, saltwater, and dry air will never stop us from diving but they do keep us away from a youthful appearance. While enjoying your next dive, try to implement some of these tips to protect yourself from skin damage.