Arsenal’s Emphatic Win Over Newcastle Keeps Their League Title Hopes Alive


Arsenal managed to cut Manchester City’s lead at the top of the league to just a single point with an emphatic victory over Newcastle United in a pulsating match that’s all scored 2-0 at Saint James Park on Sunday.

For Arsenal, it was Martin Odegaard who gave the visitors the lead after 14 minutes with a fine low shot before Fabian Schar could only manage to slot it into his net as he tried to see off a 75th-minute cross by Gabriel Martinelli. Nevertheless one can’t deny the fact that Mikel Arteta’s side played a game more than the team from Manchester but they did secure a win when it was needed the most. This will turn up the heat for the rivals as they now have to juggle their run for the Champions League as well as the Premier League title including the second leg against Real Madrid over the next 10 days for the UCL semi-final.

Arsenal Secure a Win Over Newcastle United

Arsenal did not have an easy victory over Newcastle United despite the score line. The opening 10 minutes were quite a storm as Newcastle United’s Jakub Murphy managed to hit the post in the very second minute before Chris Kavanaugh, the referee, awarded Newcastle a free kick just 5 minutes later. Although it was initially decided that Bruno’s shot was blocked by Jakub, the referee had to overturn his decision based on the review from VAR, and the Gunners took full advantage by slotting in a goal courtesy of Odegaard.

Arsenal also wasted quite a few chances to extend their lead as both Saka and Martinelli sent their shots clear of the net before Joe Willock shot straight at Ramsdale at the other end in the first half that promised quite a scintillating second half. Nick Pope managed to save a shot from Odegaard in the first-half stoppage time but it was the other team who started the second half better as both sides pushed for the game’s second goal, but it was Gabriel Martinelli who had the last laugh as he burst down from the left before delivering a low cross that the Newcastle defender could only put it into his net.