There are speculations that Pro Bowl guard David DeCastro could go in for a retirement forced by an ankle injury. He will need surgery on his injured ankle for the third time but the problem has returned to affect his career.
He was open about his possible retirement and said that he would wait to see how the surgery turned out. But he added that he would have no problem calling it a day and moving on.
Even as the Steelers veterans were in a minicamp earlier in June, David DeCastro had to sit it out, pointing to his problems. He said it was during this minicamp that he realized the extent of his injury. He said that bone spurs in his ankle have been a constant issue for him.
He got an MRI done at the minicamp and it was then he got to know the extent of his injury and came to know that he needed surgery.
David DeCastro was released Thursday with a non-football injury designation. It was an end to a 9-year stint at Pittsburgh during which he had earned 6 straight trips to the Pro Bowls plus a couple of All-Pro nods during his stint at the steel city.
David DeCastro’s Move Overhauls Steelers Attacking Line Up
The departure of David DeCastro leads to a total overhaul of the Steelers’ offensive lineup. With Alejandro Villanueva and Maurkice Pouncey, and Matt Feiler out, none of the veterans are left in the offensive line.
The Steelers have saved $8.75 million in cap space and have signed on the veteran guard Trai Turner for a one-year contract.
DeCastro’s future will depend on his recovery from the operation and his joining another team. But there is a chance that the bulldozing DeCastro.
With the churning in the team, Pittsburgh’s chances of a repeat of the AFC North Championship doesn’t look too bright.