The National Archives informed that documents from Mike Pence will be delivered to the US House Select Committee investigation of the January 6 riots in the US Capitol. This was revealed by David Ferriero, National Archivist, in a single-page letter.
Mr. Ferriero said that the National Archives will provide former Vice President Pence’s records to the January 6 Committee. President Donald Trump is desperately trying to shield the papers saying they constitute privileged documents.
Bennie Thompson, the chairman of the House Select Committee said that he is yet to see the letter about the Mike Pence papers. Hundreds of pages of documents from the White House linked to Trump time were recently handed over by the National Archives to the Committee.
The papers were handed over only after a month’s battle in the courts that concluded when the Supreme Court rejected the former President’s efforts to stop the release.
The record agency said that Donald Trump has torn up several of the papers in their possession and had to be taped. The agency stated that the paper came into their possession along with the torn-up documents.
The letter from the agency to Trump indicates that the January 6 select committee is seeking more papers from Mike Pence’s camp.
Mike Pence’s Former Chief Of Staff And Counsel Have Already Testified Before The January 6 Committee
Mike Pence’s ex-chief of staff, Marc Short testified last week before the House Select Committee. He was with Mike Pence on the fateful day when Trump’s supporters tore through the building.
Mike Pence was at that time in control of the electoral votes counting that ultimately led to Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 Presidential elections.
The segment of records affecting Pence will be handed over by March 3 in the absence of a court order to the contrary, according to National Archive officials. Among the officials that appeared before the House Select Committee includes Mike Pence’s counsel Greg Jacob.